1. Insert the appropriate Windows Server 2008 installation media into your DVD drive. If you don’t have an installation DVD for Windows Server 2008, you can download one for free from Microsoft’s Windows 2008 Server Trial website.
2. Reboot the computer.
3. When prompted for an installation language and other regional options, make your selection and press Next.
4. Next, Click on Install Now to start the installation process.
5. Next, enter the activation key and click – Next.
6. Once you have entered the key, you will now be given a choice on what type of installation you would like to begin.
– Windows Server 2008 (Full Installation): This option installs the complete installation of Windows Server 2008. This installation includes the entire user interface, and it supports all of the server roles.
– Windows Server 2008 (Server Core Installation): This option installs a minimal server installation of Windows Server 2008, which you can use to run supported server roles through the command prompt interface.
8. Accept the license terms, and then click Next
9. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, select Custom
10. On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, select the disk you want to install Windows on, and then click Next
If you’re installing on a hard disk that’s connected to a SCSI controller, click Load Driver and insert the media provided by the controller’s manufacturer.
If you’re installing in a Virtual Machine environment, make sure you read the “Installing the Virtual SCSI Controller Driver for Virtual Server 2005 on Windows Server 2008”
If you must, you can also click Drive Options and manually create a partition on the destination hard disk.
11. The installation now begins, and you can go and have lunch. Copying the setup files from the DVD to the hard drive only takes about one minute. However, extracting and uncompressing the files takes a good deal longer. After 20 minutes, the operating system is installed. The exact time it takes to install server core depends upon your hardware specifications. Faster disks will perform much faster installs… Windows Server 2008 takes up approximately 10 GB of hard drive space.
The installation process will reboot your server; make sure you remove media from DVD drive
12. Then the server reboots you’ll be prompted with the new Windows Server 2008 type of login screen. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to log in.
13. Once the install is finished, we’re prompted to change our password before logging in.
14. Enter administrator password two times and click on arrow button.
15. Once this is complete, your desktop will load and you will be presented with the Initial Configuration Tasks wizard.
Use the Initial Configuration Tasks wizard to provide computer information, such as time zone, network configuration, and computer name.